- "That machine looks like it could carry a mountain. Or smash its way through one."
- ―Aloy, upon sighting a Behemoth
The Behemoth is a machine in Horizon Zero Dawn. The Behemoth is a huge, rugged transport-class machine that uses antigravity technology to transfer precious cargo from smaller acquisition-class machines into its stomach container. When provoked, it may charge at the enemy or use its anti-gravity unit to hurl heavy objects. It is also equipped with a set of grinding drills that allow it to grind and propel rocks as projectiles.
The Behemoth appears similar to a rhinoceros with its snout shaped like a pyramidal battering ram. It features a pair of mandibles similar to those of a Thunderjaw, that house a pair of rotary tools.
As a heavy transport machine, it can manipulate gravity using small gravity generators that can be found on its neck and shoulders. The Behemoth's underside includes a large yellow circular canister which carries different loot and cargo within it.
Behemoths are purpose-built GAIA machines that were designed as part of the terraforming process centuries after the Faro Plague wiped out all life on Earth in the 21st Century. Its original purpose seems to be mainly for use in mining and clearing away rock, although to what end is unsure.
The Derangement turned this mighty machine into a serious threat. Although it is not a dedicated combat machine, it can shrug off tons of damage and deal a lot of its own by throwing rocks, crashing through obstacles, and crushing anything that gets too close.
A Behemoth was imprisoned in the Sun Ring when Aloy was captured by the Eclipse. Somehow it was restrained with tough cables while two Corruptors arrived and overrode it, making it overly hostile towards Aloy. However, the machine's rage was harnessed by Aloy, and she goaded it to knock down large support pillars to retrieve her weapons from a platform above the arena. She then killed the machine with her retrieved gear just in time to be rescued by Sylens.
The Behemoth is a ferocious machine in combat due to its large size and ability to influence gravity in attacks.
- Gravity Boulder Throw: Digs its head into the ground and hurls a heavy chuck of rock at Aloy.
- Grinding Shrapnel Blast:
- Quake Smash: Rears up and smashes its front feet and head down, shaking the ground and doing heavy area damage in front of the Behemoth
- Smash: Rears up and stomps on a target
- Charging Quake
- Charge Attack: Runs at the target and knocks it over
Special Ability: Gravity Purge - A charge-up long-range attack. The Behemoth manipulates gravity to lift up multiple boulders that encircle the creature. Shortly after, the machine brings it's front legs down, shooting the boulders outwards in multiple directions.
- While most other GAIA-designed machines seem to be purposed towards repurposing broken machines or cleaning the air, the Behemoth is unique in its purpose as a mining transport vehicle.
- The Behemoth's naming convention is unique in that it is neither an active agent like Strider or Ravager nor a compound noun like Snapmaw of Glinthawk. Addition it is the only machine other than the Metal Devil to have a name based in mythology.
|Acquisition Class||Broadhead - Charger - Glinthawk - Grazer - Lancehorn - Rockbreaker - Scrapper - Snapmaw - Strider - Trampler|
|Combat Class||Ravager - Sawtooth - Stalker - Stormbird - Thunderjaw|
|Recon Class||Longleg - Watcher (Redeye Watcher) - Tallneck|
|Transport Class||Behemoth - Fire Bellowback - Freeze Bellowback - Shell-Walker|
|Chariot Class||Corrupted Machines - Corruptor - Deathbringer - Metal Devil|