- "You're an ugly one, aren't you? No wonder you hide your face underground."
- ―Aloy, upon sighting a Rockbreaker
The Rockbreaker most closely resembles a badger or a mole with a flat and durable body, broad shoulders, and powerful front legs, although, unlike such creatures, this machine has a tail making up about a quarter of its length. Its most prominent feature is the massive maw of a tricone roller drill mounted on its head, each drill bit is set on jaws to allow the mouth to open and close. It is a quadruped, the front pair of legs sporting huge claws. Under the machine's belly is a fuel sac filled with Blaze and an exhaust port is positioned atop the body at the base of the tail.
Rockbreakers seem to be one of the original Acquisition-class machines created by GAIA to terraform Earth after its sterilization at the hands of the Faro Plague in the mid-21st century. They have likely been around since before humans reappeared. While other mining machines like Lancehorns are able to gather materials from the surface, the Rockbreaker can tunnel deep into the earth to gather valuable raw materials for use in the Cauldrons.
After the Derangement, an event which caused all the existing machines to become more aggressive towards humans, the Rockbreaker's frightening speed, rugged design and powerful tools made it a menace to any humans nearby. By the time Aloy learned to hunt and fight machines, Rockbreakers would attack any human they detected.
Like all machines, with the exception of the Tallneck, Rockbreakers attack humans once aware of his/her presence. They behave like a "land shark," tunneling around leaving a small dust wake to mark its position.
- Drill: This enormous tricone roller drill allows the Rockbreaker to tunnel through the ground to attack the target. Soft ground like sand or dirt is a danger zone in Rockbreaker territory and its drill will inflict massive damage if it connects. The drill, however, cannot burrow through rock.
- Digging arms: These appendages are tipped with powerful claws and allow the Rockbreaker to locomote on the surface as well as underground. These, coupled with the drill, allow a Rockbreaker to move as quickly and smoothly underground as a fish swims through water.
- Sound detection: If a human walks or shoots an arrow into the ground while a Rockbreaker is nearby, the machine will immediately be alerted and will tunnel straight to the exact location of the sound, regardless of the surface walked on or if Aloy is hiding in tall grass.
- Mobility: The Rockbreaker can move so fast that even an athletic human being like Aloy cannot outrun it, and it can breach the surface like a whale to carry out an attack, only to just as quickly dive underground again.
- Rock launching: If the target is out of melee range or standing on a rock, the Rockbreaker can regurgitate a stream of boulders projectiles similar to how a Behemoth can.
- Fire resistance: The Rockbreaker's chassis is resistant to fire weapons.
|Name||Damage Type||Primary Damage||Secondary Damage||Trigger Range||Description|
|Leaping Crush||Melee||250||0||0m - 15m (surface to submerged)
0m - 24m (submerged to surface) 0 - 30m (submerged to submerged)
|Jaw Smash||Melee||200||0||0m - 14m||TBA|
|Lunge Crush||Melee||200||0||10m - 19m||TBA|
|Rock Blast||Explostion||50 per rock||0||0m - 30m||TBA|
|Rock Volcano||Explosion||100||150 per rock||N/A||TBA|
|Spinning Smash||Melee||180||0||0m - 10m||TBA|
As formidable as they are, Rockbreakers have weaknesses that may be exploited to eventually kill them. They are as follows:
- Digging arms - removal of these will prevent it from going underground. However, all four arms must be removed.
- Fuel sac - puncturing this will cause an explosion that causes significant damage. However, the explosion also damages anyone within the blast radius.
- Exhaust port - strikes on this component deal greater damage to the machine.
- Freeze weapons: While resistant to fire, Freeze ammunition will freeze the Rockbreaker much quicker than other machines, slowing it down and making it more susceptible to damage.
- The Rockbreaker shares many similarities with Nibelsnarf of the Monster Hunter franchise. Both have similar body shapes, methods of attack and movement, and a vulnerability to freezing/ice damage.
- A cone roller drill head design is made specifically for drilling through solid rock, commonly to gain access to ground water, oil, or natural gas because the objective is to not selectively mine ore. The fact that the Rockbreaker cannot drill through rock is likely due to balancing.
|Acquisition Class||Broadhead - Charger - Glinthawk - Grazer - Lancehorn - Rockbreaker - Scrapper - Snapmaw - Strider - Trampler|
|Combat Class||Ravager - Sawtooth - Stalker - Stormbird - Thunderjaw|
|Recon Class||Longleg - Watcher (Redeye Watcher) - Tallneck|
|Transport Class||Behemoth - Fire Bellowback - Freeze Bellowback - Shell-Walker|
|Chariot Class||Corrupted Machines - Corruptor - Deathbringer - Metal Devil|