The Thunderjaw is one of the biggest, most dangerous Combat Class machines, equipped with devastating offensive technology and being an average of 24 meters long by 10 meters tall.
The Thunderjaw is a huge bipedal machine with features akin to those of a theropod dinosaur, particularly the Tyrannosaurus rex: powerful and bulky legs, a long body, and a heavy tail to maintain equilibrium. As its name suggests, the head of the Thunderjaw features two sets of mechanical components resembling mandibles that spread to the sides whenever it roars. The majority of its body is protected with heavy armor plates, making it difficult to take it down even with explosive arrows; this results in only a few specific weak points for adversaries to capitalize on, including the open, muscle-like circuitry found behind its legs.
The tip of its tail is armed with a pair of scythe-like fins, used in combat when the Thunderjaw swings its tail.
The Thunderjaw seems to be a much larger and more combat-oriented cousin of the Watcher, as both resemble theropod dinosaurs, have no forelimbs, a long tail, and scanning equipment in their heads.
Like the Sawtooth, it only began to appear in recent years after the Derangement, an event in which the HEPHAESTUS subordinate function (now with a consciousness of its own and without GAIA's guidance) deemed humanity a threat and commanded GAIA's machines to attack humans on sight. Additionally, it started designing and building more aggressive, combat-oriented machines. Possibly developed from unused terraforming designs, the Thunderjaw represents the pinnacle of the combat class, potentially surpassing the fighting capabilities of even the FAS-FSP5 Khopesh. It shakes the earth with every step and few enemies, mechanical or organic, dare attack it.
According to Hunters Lodge manuscripts, Ahsis was the first human to ever face and bring down a Thunderjaw, and its wrecked carcass now hangs from the ceiling of the Hunters Lodge HQ.
At one point, a Thunderjaw known as Redmaw terrorized the Sundom. Many hunting parties were sent out to kill it but to no avail. Many Carja considered it to be a legendary, immortal beast, but it was eventually slain by Talanah and Aloy.
The Thunderjaw is armed with a variety of weapons.
- Ranged attacks
- Disk Launcher: This is the Thunderjaw's most powerful asset: a pair of devices that fire explosive disks. When attached to the Thunderjaw, the machine fires a set of disks that hover in a cloud above the enemy and crash down with devastating explosive power. When knocked off of the Thunderjaw, the Disk Launcher fires the destructive disks straight at the target.
- Machine Guns: Mounted in the Thunderjaw's maw are a pair of automatic cannons that, after a brief charging-up, discharge a rapid burst of blue projectiles.
- Mouth Laser: Like the machine guns, the Thunderjaw will charge up these energy weapons briefly before blasting the target with red energy beams.
- Bite attack: The Thunderjaw snaps at a target.
- Rushing bite attack: The Thunderjaw charges and snaps at a target.
- Charge attack: The Thunderjaw bowls over a target with sheer weight and size.
- Foot stomp: The Thunderjaw shakes the ground with a powerful stomp.
- Tail slam: The Thunderjaw brings its tail down on a target, crushing it.
- Tail swipe: The Thunderjaw swings its tail, send a target flying.
- Defense: The Thunderjaw is heavily armored and very resistant to damage.
- Utility: The Thunderjaw is equipped with a special radar ability that, when activated, will detect even hidden threats such as Aloy concealed in tall grass.
|Metal Shards||Blaze||Chillwater||Sparker||Echo Shell|
|Crystal Braiding||Machine Core - Large||Thunderjaw Lens||Thunderjaw Heart|
- Thunderjaws have 271 animations, 93 destructible armor plates, 12 unique attacks, 67 visuals and 550,000 polygons.
- If one wants to easily bring down a Thunderjaw, it is highly recommended to acquire the Shield Weaver suit, which gives Aloy a powerful rechargeable personal energy shield that will absorb multiple hits from even the Thunderjaw's main weapons and will prevent her from being knocked over by the Thunderjaw's melee attacks.
|Acquisition Class||Charger - Lancehorn - Rockbreaker - Scrapper - Snapmaw - Trampler|
|Combat Class||Fire Bellowback - Freeze Bellowback - Sawtooth - Stalker - Stormbird - Ravager - Thunderjaw|
|Recon Class||Watcher (Redeye Watcher) - Glinthawk - Longleg - Tallneck|
|Transport Class||Behemoth - Broadhead - Grazer - Shell-Walker - Strider|
|Other||Corrupted Machines - Corruptor - Deathbringer - Metal Devil|